Subject: Re: Digital Video....
From: [email-masked] (John Crookshank)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:57:10 -0500

On 20-Dec-95 18:57:08, jeric ([email-masked]) Emailed: 

> On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, [email-masked] (Elliot Bain) wrote:

>>It doesn't seem to me to be premature in starting to aquire digital 
>>footage. The quality is outstanding and far exceeds any consumer or 
>>pro-sumer products on the market. The format is a standard one.

>	I've heard these cameras lack good glass and professional features, like
> manual iris, manual zoom, etc.  For LW animators they may be good IF we
> can  access the digital info without it being re-encoded into analog
> signals.  Is  that possible?

Another concern is the sampling and compression used during recording.
My data on this format shows a 4:1:1 sampling scheme, and a 5:1 compression
on the images before recording. This leads to serious concerns regarding
uncompression and re-compression that one would experience during editing,
not to mention artifacts when moving from their compression scheme to a
non-linear editing systems compression method.

--
      ______________________________________________________________
     /     John Crookshank         | Raptor3 DEC Alpha Workstations \
    |  MicroTech Solutions, Inc.   | Lightwave 3D, Toaster/Flyer     |
    | Desktop Video Systems Dealer | JVC Professional Video Products |
    | NewTek Systems Group Dealer  | PVR, Speed Razor, and more.     |
    |------------------------------|---------------------------------|
    |     [email-masked]              http://www.mt-inc.com/       |
     \______________________________________________________________/